Job post: Principal Engineer, Metal Innovation
Provides technical support and project management for the global research and development function related to aluminum beverage packaging.
What will you be responsible for?
- Subject matter expert for high speed Aluminum metal forming technologies, including drawing, ironing, stamping, impact extrusion and spinning. Works to further knowledge and expertise in additional methods of forming/manufacturing.
- Continually leads the creation of innovative new or improved packaging designs. Develops groundbreaking ways to solve challenges in aluminum packages as well as generate innovative test methods related to manufacture of components.
- Subject matter expert for detailed technical drawing, GD&T, metrology, tool manufacture and machine design/function knowledge.
- Manages suppliers to create tooling and equipment, including specifying designs, generating orders, verifying parts for accuracy, ensuring on time delivery and defining acceptance criteria. Drives supplier relationships and utilizes multiple resources simultaneously to accomplish goals.
- Plan, coordinate, and conduct pilot line trials including specifications generation, sample generation & analysis, schedule tracking, budget management and lessons learned.
- Expert technical writer who documents innovations into finalized IP, including patents and trade secrets. Consistently generates clear and concise technical reports/presentations for communication across regions. Leads creation of SOPs and highly organized documentation handoff with project completions.
- Expert in analytical, statistical evaluation & analysis tools such as DOE, FMEA, cost models, statistically significant sample sizes & run lengths w/ control data comparisons.
- Expert at implementation of new products into production including documentation creation, startup/troubleshooting, driving for key metrics, and leading the transfer of ownership.
- Expert at business case development with limited information, ROI calculation and ability to make recommendations based on business cases.
- Very highly organized project management skills. Seek, identify, & proactively address areas of concern, lack of resources, project delays, etc. by creating recovery paths where needed without major oversight. Use of stage gate project management tools and documentation to achieve on time and on budget delivery of projects.
- Expert at working closely with cross functional teams including Global Project Management Office (PMO), Global Sales, Global Engineering, and broader innovation teams to interpret requests, provide updates and technical expertise.
- Leads discussions and makes quick decisions independently. Consistently inspires others in the workplace and provides direction to other engineers. Rallies others to their vision and direction.
What are we looking for?
- Broad training in a related field usually acquired through college degree level education or work-related experience.
- BS in Engineering or a related technical field, such as mathematics, metallurgy or physics, strongly preferred.
- MS in Engineering or a related technical field a plus.
- Job related experience for 10 years minimum.
- Good Business Acumen skills – MBA a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Strong presentation skills. Leads group discussions.
- Assignments may be self-initiated. Determines and pursues courses of action necessary to obtain desired results.
- Experience in high speed metal forming.
- Ability to generate and execute a test plan to determine root cause failure analysis.
- Strong technical writing ability using standard Microsoft Office products.
- Ability to lead small teams with broad responsibilities and minimal oversight.
- Experience using hand held metrology equipment.
- Good ability to multitask and think / troubleshoot in a nonlinear manner.
- Experience working with geographically dispersed engineering and business team.
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and follow directions.
- Ability to articulate and promote project management best-practices.
- Ability to overcome roadblocks by enabling others with clear communication, troubleshooting, and at times simply propping up others where needed.
- High level of project management skills and good with project/program management tools such as MS project.
- Ability to lead small teams and engage/motivate others.
- Good understanding of statistical principles.
- Knowledgeable with tooling drawings, dimensioning, and basic machining operations.
- Knowledgeable with geometric dimensioning and tolerancing.
- Knowledge of machine design and operation.
Compensation & Benefits
- Hiring Salary Range: $86,500 – 132,000 (Salary to be determined by the applicant’s education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data.)
- Other Compensation: This role will be eligible to participate in the annual incentive compensation plan.
- Regular Full-Time Salaried and Hourly positions: Ball includes a comprehensive benefits structure, Go to our career site and click “Total Rewards” to learn more.
Ball Corporation has been made aware of reports involving fraudulent job offers. These often appear legitimate, but Ball does not make job offers until after a candidate has submitted a job application and has participated in a face-to-face interview (In person or via WebEx). All email correspondence from Ball Corporation ends in “@ball.com.” Please also be advised that Ball will never request payment or require candidates to deposit a check during the recruitment and onboarding processes. If you have questions about any open positions at Ball, please visit at https://jobs.ball.com/ .