Principal Engineer, Production Container
Company: Ball Corporation
Position: Principal Engineer, Production Container
Location: Westminster, CO, US, 80021 (Remote with Travel)
Do you want to work for a world-leading manufacturer who strives to build a better future through sustainability and innovation? Are you looking for a new challenge in a stable, fast-growing sector?
Join us, and build your career by helping us build the future.
We are a global leader in sustainable products with more than 21,000 team members worldwide. From infinitely recyclable aluminum cans, cups, and aerosol bottles, to aerospace solutions that enable our customers to have a deeper understanding of our planet and the universe. We produce all these incredible things with one unique purpose: crafting a better community, a better society, a better world.
Moreover, each of us has a deep commitment to diversity and inclusion which is the foundation of our culture of belonging. And everyone at Ball is an everyday champion, making a difference by doing what we love.
We lead with our heads and our hearts and combine innovative thinking with a spirit of resiliency that keeps us moving forward in a relentless pursuit of new ways to make life, and the world, better. Whether we’re developing packaging that’s infinitely recyclable or aerospace innovations. Because what we create may change, but what we will always make is a difference.
Provide technical support for the production-container engineering functions as directed.
What you will be doing.
- Leads and assists in establishing job priorities, plans activities, schedules, and guides coordinators, drafters, and designers.
- Originates, solicits, investigates and implements improvements to container tooling, products and methods of manufacturing for the purpose of increased production, reduced product cost, and improved quality.
- Leads, investigates, develops, and implements container-related cost improvements in material usage, operating practices, and equipment utilization.
- Coordinates and prepares AFE level cost estimates.
- Responsible for maintaining awareness of technical progress in general engineering, container tooling products and metal forming technology. Initiates technical meetings to review problems and improvements to suppliers, plants, licensees, and joint ventures. Maintains technical liaison with suppliers.
- Originates, coordinates, and updates container product, tooling specification drawings, and disseminates this information through the container and tooling specification (CTS) book.
- Responsible for providing technical support to plants, licensees, joint ventures, customers, and other engineering groups. Participates in troubleshooting investigations and corrective action of container product and product-related equipment.
- Evaluates, coordinates, qualifies, and implements aluminum materials, products and product design from internal developments, suppliers, competitors and technical institutions for the plant line evaluation.
- Provides liaison and technical support to other disciplines of the production engineering and other departments.
- Accesses, inputs, and retrieves information from the computer.
- Initiates, reviews, masters, and follows all standard operating procedures (SOPs) for your area of responsibility.
- Maintains the professional competence, ethical integrity, knowledge and skills necessary for the satisfactory performance of all assigned responsibilities.
- Assures and maintains safe and healthful working conditions while enforcing safety rules and regulations.
- Maintains an awareness and complies with all environmental management requirements.
- Establishes and maintains effective work relationships within the department, the division, the group, and the company. Includes ability to handle stress and to interact with others so as to establish and maintain a positive and productive work environment and minimize personal conflicts.
- While the regular working cycle of this position is usually 5 days on (Monday-Friday), this job may include working weekends (Saturday and Sunday), working hours may vary as specified by management. Incumbent must be able to work overtime on a regular basis and/or be on call as directed by management.
What we’re looking for.
- Broad training in a related field usually acquired through high school education or equivalent.
- Job related experience for 7 years minimum.
- Working knowledge of the following areas: Ability to perform mathematical calculations. Ability to functionally use a computer.
- Must maintain professional competence, ethical integrity, knowledge, and skills.
- Handles sensitive and proprietary information in a confidential manner.
- Ability to work independently within parameters set by management. Assignments may be self-initiated. Determines and pursues courses of action necessary to obtain desired results.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Strong presentation skills. Leads group discussions.
- Listening. Practices attentive and active listening; has the patience to hear people out; can accurately restate the opinions of others even when he/she disagrees.
- Priority Setting. Spends his/her time and the time of others on what’s important; quickly zeros in on the critical few and puts the trivial many aside; can quickly sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal; eliminates roadblocks; creates focus.
- Innovation Management. Is good at bringing the creative ideas of others to market; has good judgment about which creative ideas and suggestions will work; has a sense about managing the creative process of others; can facilitate effective brainstorming; can project how potential ideas may play out in the marketplace.
- Dealing with Ambiguity. Can effectively cope with change; can shift gears comfortably; can decide and act without having the total picture; isn’t upset when things are up in the air; doesn’t have to finish things before moving on; can comfortably handle risk and uncertainty.
- Problem Solving. Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes all fruitful sources for answers; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn’t stop at the first answers.
- Business Acumen. Knows how businesses work; knowledgeable in current and possible future policies, practices, trends, and information affecting his/her business and organization; knows the competition; is aware of how strategies and tactics work in the marketplace.
- Decision Quality. Makes good decisions (without considering how much time it takes) based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; most of his/her solutions and suggestions turn out to be correct and accurate when judged over time; sought out by others for advice and solutions.
- Integrity and Trust. Is seen as a direct, truthful individual; can present the truth in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; does not misrepresent him/herself for personal gain.
- Customer Focus. Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
- Functional and Technical Skills. Has the functional and/or technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
Compensation & Benefits
- Hiring Salary Range: $ 86,500 – 132,000 (Salary to be determined by the applicant’s education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data.)
- Other Compensation: This role will be eligible to participate in the annual incentive compensation plan.
- Regular Full-Time Salaried and Hourly positions: Ball includes a comprehensive benefits structure, Go to our career site and click “Total Rewards” to learn more.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans