North American aluminium demand up 6.3%
As part of its monthly Aluminum Situation report, the Aluminum Association released preliminary estimates showing 6.3% year-to-date demand growth for the aluminium industry in North America (U.S. and Canada) through the third quarter of 2022.
Growth in the third quarter continues strong demand trends estimated during the first and second quarters.
“We are glad to see steady demand growth for North American aluminium, which is some of the cleanest aluminium in the world,” said Charles Johnson, president & CEO of the Aluminum Association.
“As we strive for a more energy-efficient future, our metal continues to provide innovative solutions and competitive advantages for businesses and consumers.”
Among key takeaways from the report:
- Aluminium demand in the United States and Canada (shipments by domestic producers plus imports) totalled an estimated 21.0 billion pounds through the third quarter of 2022, advancing 6.3% over the same period in 2021.
- Demand through Q3 2022 approached record demand levels for the industry last seen in 2018 and 2019 (chart above).
- Although demand for aluminium in Q3 2022 declined 2.1% from Q2 2022, the Q3 total of 7.0 billion pounds was an increase of 7.0% over Q3 last year.
- Flat-rolled products (sheet, plate, and foil) saw demand increase 8.4% year-to-date through September.
- Aluminium exports of semi-fabricated – or “mill” – products to foreign countries have increased 17.7% from the like-2021 level.
Companies and consumers alike are turning to aluminium as they make sustainability a top priority for products.
The carbon impact of making aluminium in north America has declined by more than half in the past 30 years. The metal also enables lower carbon outcomes in markets like automotive, building and packaging. Choosing aluminum means opting for a material that is infinitely recyclable, supports good-paying jobs and helps meet climate and energy goals.
The Aluminum Situation report is one of more than two-dozen ongoing industry statistical reports developed exclusively by the Aluminum Association through surveys of aluminium producers, fabricators and recyclers. Subscribers to the Aluminium Association statistical reports have access to an online portal with data users can manipulate directly to produce interactive, presentation-ready charts and graphs.
To learn more about the Aluminum Association’s statistical offerings or to subscribe, visit www.aluminum.org/statistics.